Waive Your School's Insurance
Welcome to the Waive Your School’s Insurance Center!
This page is for those students who wish to opt-out (waive) out of the coverage under their school’s student insurance plan. The school’s student insurance plan can only be waived if the student has coverage under another acceptable insurance plan.
The first step to waive out of your school’s student insurance coverage is to verify that you are an eligible student.
2022-2023 Waiver Information
- Hard Waiver Student Eligibility
- Hard Waiver Student Waiver Instructions
- Open Enrollment Periods
- Qualifying Life Event
- All graduate and undergraduate degree (including online-only and non-matriculating), visiting, mobility (study abroad), maintenance-of-status, Lang and Parsons consortium, ESL + Certificate program, and graduate credit certificate students are automatically charged for the health insurance plan upon registration, and will be enrolled in the plan if a waiver providing proof of comparable coverage is not submitted by the waiver deadline.
Eligible Dependents of enrolled students may participate in the plan on a voluntary basis.
Students must actively attend classes for at least the first 31 days after the date for which coverage is purchased. Home study, correspondence and online courses do not fulfill the Eligibility requirements that the student actively attend classes.
Begin the waiver process by following the instructions below.
- Annual Waiver Deadline: 9/12/22 – Closed
- Spring/Summer Waiver Deadline: 2/13/23 (new incoming students only)
For those students who do not submit an approved waiver form before the deadline, you will be automatically charged and officially enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan. Once enrolled there are no refunds or cancellations. (Please note, automatic enrollment will occur AFTER the waiver deadline.)
Open Enrollment Periods for all Students: If you are a student in the Fall semester and eligible to purchase coverage and you choose not to enroll for coverage before the Annual Enrollment Deadline of *September 12, 2022, you will not be eligible to enroll again until the start of next Fall unless you experience a “Qualifying Life Event” during the year.
*For new, incoming students in the Spring semester, your open enrollment deadline is February 13, 2023.
Students who did not enroll themselves or their dependent(s) during the open enrollment period may be able to enroll in the policy if they experience a Qualifying Life Event.
Qualifying Life Events include:
- Acquiring a new family member
- Marriage/Civil Union
- Loss or change of Job
- Expiration of Benefits
If you and/or your dependents meet the requirements for a Qualifying Life Event, you will need to provide the following:
- Proof of qualifying life event/proof of involuntary loss of coverage
- Enrollment Form
All documents and payment must be received within 30 days of the qualifying life event. After 30 days, the student or dependents will no longer be eligible to enroll in the plan, until fall of the following school year.
Please CONTACT US for cost and enrollment information as a Qualifying Life Event.
For waiver, enrollment, eligibility, general benefit questions or plan issues please contact University Health Plans at 833-251-1129 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are always happy to help in any way.