Waive Your School's Insurance
Welcome to the Waive Your School’s Insurance Center!
This page is for those students who wish to opt-out (waive) out of the coverage under their school’s student insurance plan. The school’s student insurance plan can only be waived if the student has coverage under another acceptable insurance plan.
The first step to waive out of your school’s student insurance coverage is to verify that you are an eligible student.
2022-2023 Waiver Information
- International Undergraduates
- Hard Waiver Student Eligibility
- Hard Waiver Student Waiver Instructions
- Open Enrollment Periods
- Qualifying Life Event
You are required to purchase this plan on a mandatory basis and do not have the option to waive. You will be enrolled in the plan at registration. No Further action is needed.
Hard Waiver Student Eligibility
- All Full -Time Domestic Undergraduate Students (Including those on a Disability exception)
- All Registered International Graduate Students
Are required to purchase this plan unless proof of comparable coverage is furnished. Hard waiver students are required to have health insurance to attend Saint Mary’s College of California
For those students who do not submit an approved waiver form before the deadline, you will be automatically charged and officially enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan. Once enrolled there are no refunds or cancellations. (Please note, automatic enrollment will occur AFTER the waiver deadline.)
Please Note: If you waive the insurance you will not be eligible to enroll until the following school year unless you experience a Qualifying Life Event.
Hard Waiver Student Waiver Instructions
International Graduates and Domestic Undergraduates
- Annual Deadline: 9/6/22 – Closed
- Spring/Summer Deadline: 2/1/23 (new incoming students only)
International Graduates in the School of Business:
- Students starting in July: 8/12/22
- Students Starting in October: 10/31/22
- Students Stating in January: 2/1/23
- Students starting in April: 4/21/22
After you verify that you are a hard waiver student and have other insurance you will need:
- Your current health insurance plan ID card,
- Your health insurance brochure or plan description (or you might want mom & dad’s phone number handy to help answer some of the waiver questions). There might be a few questions about your current plan.
Once you have completed the waiver form, an email will automatically be sent to the email address you provided notifying you of the waiver request decision. If you receive a:
- Approval e-mail– Your waiver was approved. You should print this e-mail and save it with your records.
- Denial e-mail– your waiver was denied. If you would like us to look this over or if you answered a question incorrectly, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Note: If you waive the insurance, you will not be eligible to enroll until the following school year, unless you experience a Qualifying Life Event.
Open Enrollment Periods for all Dependents and Students: If you have eligible dependents in the Fall or are a student in the Fall semester and eligible to purchase coverage and you choose not to enroll for coverage before the Annual Enrollment Deadline of *September 6, 2022, you or your dependents will not be eligible to enroll again until the start of next Fall unless you experience a “Qualifying Life Event” during the year.
If you did not enroll during your open enrollment period and have since lost coverage under your original plan, you may qualify for a Qualifying Life Event upon providing proof of involuntary loss of coverage and payment within 30 days of losing coverage. (example: marriage, divorce, loss of job, etc) The enrollment form, check or money order, and the letter of creditable coverage must be received within 30 days of losing coverage. After 30 days the student will no longer be eligible to enroll in the plan until Fall of the following school year.
Please contact email@example.com for cost and enrollment information as a Qualifying Life Event.
We are always happy to help in any way.