Waive Your School's Insurance
Welcome to the Waive Your School’s Insurance Center!
This page is for those students who wish to opt-out (waive) out of the coverage under their school’s student insurance plan. The school’s student insurance plan can only be waived if the student has coverage under another acceptable insurance plan.
The first step to waive out of your school’s student insurance coverage is to verify that you are an eligible student.
2022-2023 Waiver Information
- Hard Waiver Student Eligibility
- International Student Eligibility
- Hard Waiver Student Waiver Instructions
- Open Enrollment Periods
- Qualifying Life Event
Hard Waiver Student Eligibility
- All undergraduate students taking 9 or more credit hours
Are automatically enrolled in this insurance Plan at registration, unless proof of comparable coverage is furnished.
Please Note: If you waive the insurance you will not be eligible to enroll until the following school year unless you experience a Qualifying Life Event.
All registered International students are required to purchase this insurance plan at registration and the premium for coverage is added to their tuition billing.
Hard Waiver Student Waiver Instructions
- Spring/Summer Waiver Deadline: 3/31/23
After you verify that you are a hard waiver student and have other insurance you will need:
- Your current health insurance plan ID card,
- Your health insurance brochure or plan description (or you might want mom & dad’s phone number handy to help answer some of the waiver questions). There might be a few questions about your current plan.
- In order to be acceptable coverage to waive out of the school sponsored plan, student’s coverage cannot be an out-of-state (non-North Carolina) Medicaid plan, an indemnity plan, a short-term plan or a catastrophic level plan. These types of plans do not provide minimum essential coverage and therefore do not meet the waiver requirements.
*Please be sure you are entering your student ID number with two leading zeros
Once you have completed the waiver form, an email will automatically be sent to the email address you provided notifying you of the waiver request decision. If you receive a:
- Approval e-mail– Your waiver was approved. You should print this e-mail and save it with your records.
- Denial e-mail– Your waiver was denied. If you would like us to look this over or if you answered a question incorrectly, please contact us.
Please Note: If you waive the insurance, you will not be eligible to enroll until the following school year, unless you experience a Qualifying Life Event.
Open Enrollment Periods for all Dependents and Students: If you have eligible dependents in the Spring semester and eligible to purchase coverage and you choose not to enroll for coverage before the Annual Enrollment Deadline of *March 31, 2023, you or your dependents will not be eligible to enroll again until the start of next Fall unless you experience a “Qualifying Life Event” during the year.
*For new dependents or new or renewing students in the Spring semester, your open enrollment deadline is March 31, 2023.
Students who did not enroll themselves or their dependent(s) during the open enrollment period may be able to enroll in the policy if they experience a Qualifying Life Event.
Qualifying Life Events include:
- Acquiring a new family member
- Marriage/Civil Union
- Loss or change of Job
- Expiration of Benefits
If you and/or your dependents meet the requirements for a Qualifying Life Event, you will need to provide the following:
- Proof of qualifying life event/proof of involuntary loss of coverage
- Enrollment Form
All documents and payment must be received within 30 days of the qualifying life event. After 30 days, the student or dependents will no longer be eligible to enroll in the plan, until fall of the following school year.
Please CONTACT US for cost and enrollment information as a Qualifying Life Event.
If you have any questions about the waiver process, please call 800-505-4160 or CONTACT US
We are always happy to help in any way.