Waive Your School's Insurance
Welcome to the Waive Your School’s Insurance Center!
This page is for international students who wish to opt-out (waive) out of the coverage under their school’s student insurance plan. The school’s student insurance plan can only be waived if the student has coverage under another acceptable insurance plan.
The first step to waive out of your school’s student insurance coverage is to verify that you are an eligible student.
2022 – 2023 Waiver Information
- Hard Waiver Student Eligibility
- Hard Waiver Student Waiver Instructions
- Open Enrollment Periods
- Qualifying Life Event
- All International Students (F-1 and J-1 visa holders)
- All medical students
Are automatically enrolled and charged on their tuition bill for this insurance Plan unless proof of comparable coverage is furnished.
For those students who do not submit an approved waiver form before the deadline, you will be automatically charged and officially enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan. Once enrolled there are no refunds or cancellations. (Please note, automatic enrollment will occur AFTER the waiver deadline.
- ANNUAL Waiver Deadline: 8/30/22 – Closed
- SPRING/SUMMER Waiver Deadline: 1/17/23 (for new incoming students)
- SUMMER Waiver Deadline: 7/3/23 (for new incoming students)
*Please note that you will need to log into your LionPATH account to be able to submit a waiver (opt out of insurance).
After you verify that you are an international hard waiver student and have other insurance you will need:
- Your current health insurance plan ID card,
- Your health insurance brochure or plan description (or you might want mom & dad’s phone number handy to help answer some of the waiver questions). There might be a few questions about your current plan.
Once you have completed the waiver form, an email will automatically be sent to the email address you provided notifying you of the waiver request decision. If you receive a:
- Pending e-mail– Your waiver has been submitted, and is pending per verification of your insurance benefits. Verification of your waiver from this point can take 5-7 business daysto be approved or denied.
- Denial e-mail– Your waiver was denied. Please go to your school email account to view your denial email with instructions for how to further proceed. Or please feel free to email us at email@example.com.
- Approval e-mail– Your waiver was approved. You should print this e-mail and save it with your records.
Please Note: If you waive the insurance, you will not be eligible to enroll until the following semester, unless you experience a Qualifying Life Event.
If you are a student in the Fall semester and eligible to purchase coverage and you choose not to enroll/waive coverage before the Annual Enrollment/Waiver Deadline of your deadline, you will not be eligible to enroll/waive again until the start of the next Semester unless you experience a “Qualifying Life Event” during the year.
*For new students in the Spring semester, your open enrollment/waiver deadline is January 17, 2023.
If you did not enroll during your open enrollment period and have since lost coverage under your original plan, you may qualify for a Qualifying Life Event upon providing proof of involuntary loss of coverage and payment within 30 days of losing coverage. (example: marriage, divorce, loss of job, etc) The enrollment form, check or money order, and the letter of creditable coverage must be received within 30 days of losing coverage. After 30 days the student will no longer be eligible to enroll in the plan until Fall of the following school year.
If you meet the requirements for a Qualifying Life Event, you will need to provide the following:
- Proof of qualifying life event/proof of involuntary loss of coverage
- Enrollment Form
All documents and payment must be received within 30 days of the qualifying life event. After 30 days, the student or will no longer be eligible to enroll in the plan, until fall of the following school year.
Please Contact Us for cost and enrollment information as a Qualifying Life Event.
If you have any questions about the waiver process, please call 888-224-4810 or CONTACT US
We are always happy to help in any way.