Waive Your School's Insurance
Welcome to the Waive Your School’s Insurance Center!
This page is for those students who wish to opt-out (waive) out of the coverage under their school’s student insurance plan. The school’s student insurance plan can only be waived if the student has coverage under another acceptable insurance plan.
The first step to waive out of your school’s student insurance coverage is to verify that you are an eligible student.
- Domestic Graduate and Undergraduate Student Eligibility
- International Students
- Domestic Graduate and Undergraduate Student Waiver Instructions
- Open Enrollment Periods
- Qualifying Life Event
- Full-time Domestic Graduate Students
- All Domestic Undergraduate Students
Must enroll or waive the school-sponsored insurance plan each academic year.
It is important for you to make an informed health assessment each year. Make sure you are not left without appropriate health coverage – it could hinder your academic progress.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are an International or Domestic Undergraduate Student, you are automatically enrolled in this insurance plan at registration.
- International Students
- Domestic Undergraduate Students
Are automatically enrolled in the insurance plan at registration.
- Annual Waiver Deadline: 8/31/21
- Spring/Summer Waiver Deadline: 1/30/22
After you verify that you are a hard waiver student and have other insurance you will need:
- Your current health insurance plan ID card,
- Your health insurance brochure or plan description (or you might want mom & dad’s phone number handy to help answer some of the waiver questions). There might be a few questions about your current plan.
Once you have completed the waiver form, an email will automatically be sent to the email address you provided notifying you of the waiver request decision. If you receive a:
- Approval e-mail – Your waiver was approved. You should print this e-mail and save it with your records.
- Denial e-mail – Your waiver was denied. If you would like us to look this over or if you answered a question incorrectly, please contact us.
Please Note: If you waive the insurance, you will not be eligible to enroll until the following school year, unless you experience a Qualifying Life Event.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL STUDENTS: Open Enrollment Periods for all International Dependents and Students: If you have eligible dependents in the Fall or are a student in the Fall semester and eligible to purchase coverage and you choose not to enroll for coverage before the Fall Enrollment Deadline of *August 31, 2021, you or your dependents will not be eligible to enroll again until the start of next Fall unless you experience a “Qualifying Life Event” during the year.
*For new dependents or new students in the Spring semester, your open enrollment deadline is January 30, 2022.
If you did not enroll during your open enrollment period and have since lost coverage under your original plan, you may qualify for a Qualifying Life Event upon providing proof of involuntary loss of coverage and paymentwithin 30 days of losing coverage. (example: marriage, divorce, loss of job, etc) The enrollment form, check or money order, and the letter of creditable coverage must be received within 30 days of losing coverage.After 30 days the student will no longer be eligible to enroll in the plan until Fall of the following school year.
Please contact Riggs, Counselman, Michaels & Downes, Inc. (800) 346-4075 for cost and enrollment information as a Qualifying Life Event.
If you have any questions about the waiver process, please call
800-505-4160 or CONTACT US
We are always happy to help in any way.