Waive Your School's Insurance
Welcome to the Waive Your Schools Insurance Center!
This page is for those students who wish to opt-out (waive out) of the coverage under their school’s student insurance plan, and have the fee removed from their student account. The school’s student insurance plan can only be waived if the student has coverage under another acceptable insurance plan.
Submitting a waiver, is as easy as 123! The first step to waive out of your school’s student insurance coverage is to verify that you are a “hard waiver” student.
- 2015 – 2016 SCHOOL YEAR
PLEASE NOTE: If you do not enroll for the year during the annual open enrollment period, you will not be able to enroll later during the 2015-2016 school year without experiencing a “Qualifying Life Event”. This means that the loss of coverage is no fault of your own or the policyholders (i.e. you get married or become too old to be on a family plan). You will be eligible to enroll within thirty days of this “Qualifying Life Event.” After thirty days, you will no longer be eligible.
A Hard Waiver student for your school is:
All international students. If this is you, then you would be considered a hard waiver student. Hard waiver students are required to have health insurance to attend Penn State University.
- Annual Waiver Deadline: 9/9/15
- Spring/Summer Waiver Deadline: (New incoming students): 1/21/16
- Summer 1 Waiver Deadline (New Incoming Students Only): 5/26/16
- Summer 2 Waiver Deadline (New Incoming Students Only: 7/9/16
For those students who do not submit an approved waiver form before the deadline, you will be automatically charged and officially enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan. Once enrolled, there are no refunds or cancelations. (Please note, automatic enrollment will occur AFTER the waiver deadline.)
After you verify that you are a hard waiver student and have other insurance, here’s what you will need:
- Your current health insurance plan ID card;
- Your health insurance brochure or plan description (or you might want mom & dad’s phone number handy to help answer some of the waiver questions.) There might be a few questions about your current plan.
- Your Student ID#
PLEASE NOTE: Once you have completed the waiver form, an email will be sent automatically to the email address you provided, notifying you of the waiver request decision. If you receive a:
- Pending e-mail – Your waiver request has not been accepted; it is in a pending status. Please bring your insurance card and information to the Student Health Center. If you fail to do this before the deadline, you will be enrolled in the Villanova University sponsored health insurance plan and responsible to pay the cost of this coverage through your Villanova student account.
- Approval e-mail – your waiver was approved. You should print this e-mail and save it with your records.
- Denial e-mail – your waiver was denied. If you would like us to look this over or if you answered a question incorrectly, please
You are a voluntary student if you are:
an undergraduate taking 3 or more credit hours, a graduate taking 1 or more credit hours or enrolled in a departmental 601, 610 or 611 course, a non-graduate assistant/graduate fellow student, a Hershey Medical student, a graduate assistant or graduate fellow, visiting scholar, student enrolled in the intensive English communication program or student who participates in the Co-op work experience program as part of your required academic program. If you are one of these students, you are exempt from the waiver process and you are not required to waive out of your school’s plan.
If you have any questions about the waiver process, please call 800-505-4160
We are always happy to help in anyway.