Enroll Now - Hard Waiver Student
Welcome to the Student & Dependent Enrollment Center! Here you will find all the necessary tools to enroll in your school sponsored policy.
We suggest you review the brochure for your rates, effective dates and optional coverages before starting the enrollment process. The plan’s benefits can be found in the brochure within the Schedule of Benefits section with the exclusions towards the back.
2022 – 2023 Hard Waiver Enrollment Information
View your school’s CERTIFICATE
- Penn State Hard Waiver Student Eligibility
- IECP Students
- Hard Waiver Student Enrollment Instructions & Deadlines
- Hard Waiver Dependent Enrollment
- Graduate Assistant/Fellow/Trainees
- University Park Student Athletes
- J1 Scholars
- Qualifying Life Event
- All international students (F-1 and J-1 visa holders)
- Humphrey Fellows
- All College of Medicine Students
Are required to purchase this insurance plan unless proof of comparable coverage is furnished.
Students who are enrolled at The Pennsylvania State University, and who actively attend classes for at least the first 31 days, after the date when coverage becomes effective, are eligible to enroll in this insurance plan on a voluntary basis.
Eligible students who do enroll may also insure their Dependents.
**Please note: Once enrolled there are no cancelations or refunds except ineligibility or entry into the armed forces.
If you are not one of the above types of students you may be eligible to purchase the coverage on a voluntary basis, check your Eligibility here
Please see the IECP office at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are an IECP student and need to enroll into the PSU Insurance plan please go here.
If you are an IECP student and need to waive out of the PSU insurance plan, please go here.
IECP students are required to take the PSU insurance if they cannot provide proof of comparable coverage.
- ANNUAL Enrollment Deadline: 8/30/22 – Closed
- SPRING/SUMMER Enrollment Deadline: 1/17/23 (for new incoming students) – Closed
**These deadlines do not apply to Visiting Scholars, as you are required to purchase from the date you arrive.
If you have missed the hard waiver enrollment deadline, but have not previously waived out of the insurance, you will be automatically enrolled in the insurance by your school, after the waiver deadline. Once enrolled there are no cancelations or refunds except for ineligibility or entry into the armed forces.
If you have previously waived out of the insurance but have since lost coverage due to a Qualifying Life Event please contact us within 30 days of the event.
Please note: If you do not enroll for the Fall during the fall open enrollment period, you may be able to enroll later during the 2022-2023 school year without experiencing a “Qualifying Life Event”. This means that the loss of coverage is no fault of your own or the policyholders (i.e. you get married or become too old to be on a family plan). You will be eligible to enroll within thirty days of this “Qualifying Life Event”. After thirty days, you will no longer be eligible.
Eligible students who do enroll may also insure their dependents. Eligible dependents are the student’s spouse and dependent children under 26 years of age. Please see the Enrollment Instructions below.
- Annual Enrollment Deadline: August 30, 2022 – Closed
- Spring/Summer Enrollment Deadline: January 17, 2023 – Closed
Enroll by Mail –
- International Undergraduate – Dependent Only Enrollment Form
- International Graduate/Law – Dependent Only Enrollment Form
- Medical – Dependent Only Enrollment Form
To enroll by mail-download an enrollment form and submit by mail using a check or money order. The mailing address is listed on the back of the Enrollment Forms.
The effective date of your dependent’s coverage will be start date of the coverage period you enrolled in.
If you did not enroll your dependent during the Fall open enrollment period but your dependent has since lost coverage due to a Qualifying Life Event please contact us within 30 days of this event.
Graduate assistants and graduate fellows are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan as part of their financial support packages with the University. Penn State provides insurance premium subsidies for these students for medical, dental and vision insurance plans. Premium deductions are taken September–December for the fall semester and January–May for the spring and summer semesters. Visit the Student Health Insurance website for additional rates and details.
- All graduate assistants, graduate fellows, and graduate trainees:
- If you are interested in single student medical, dental and vision coverage, please verify your benefits in Workday
- If you want to enroll eligible dependents in the plan, you must complete a change benefit in Workday
- If you do not wish to participate in the Penn State SHIP, you must complete the change benefit in Workday
- If you decline the Medical benefits in Workday, you are required to complete the waiver in LionPATH every Fall semester
For questions related to Financial Aid packages i.e. ”Does it include the Penn State SHIP premium?” , please contact Todd Moss the Financial Aid Coordinator/Athletic Compliance Officer at email@example.com.
If you are a J1 scholar looking to enroll into coverage please view the following information from your school by following this link: https://global.psu.edu/article/j-1-scholar-medical-insurance
Students who did not enroll themselves during the open enrollment period may be able to enroll in the policy if they experience a Qualifying Life Event.
Qualifying Life Events include:
- Acquiring a new family member
- Marriage/Civil Union
- Loss or change of Job
- Expiration of Benefits
If you meet the requirements for a Qualifying Life Event, you will need to provide the following:
- Proof of qualifying life event/proof of involuntary loss of coverage
- Enrollment Form
All documents and payment must be received within 30 days of the qualifying life event. After 30 days, the student or will no longer be eligible to enroll in the plan, until fall of the following school year.
Please Contact Us for cost and enrollment information as a Qualifying Life Event.
If you have any questions about the enrollment process, please call 888-224-4810 or CONTACT US
We are always happy to help in any way.