Waive Your School's Insurance
Note: For best results, please use your desktop or laptop computer. Student Center is not supported for mobile devices
Welcome to the Waive Your School's Insurance Center!
This page is for those students who wish to opt-out (waive out) of the coverage under their school’s student insurance plan and have the fee removed from their student account. The school’s student insurance plan can only be waived if the student has coverage under another acceptable insurance plan.
Submitting a waiver is as easy as 1-2-3! The first step to waive out of your school’s student insurance coverage is to verify that you are a “hard waiver student.
2015 - 2016 School Year
A hard waiver student for your school is:
All full-time undergraduate students taking 12 or more credit hours or full time graduate students taking 9 or more credit hours. If this is you then you would be considered a hard waiver student. Hard waiver students are required to have health insurance to attend Montclair State University. You must complete an on-line waiver or enroll in the University’s policy, by:
- Annual Waiver Deadline: 10/1/15
- Spring/Summer Waiver Deadline: 1/22/16
- Your current health insurance plan ID card;
- Your health insurance brochure or plan description (or you might want mom & dad’s phone number handy to help answer some of the waiver questions). There might be a few questions about your current plan.
- Pending e-mail – Your insurance information is being verified and you should receive a second e-mail within a few days.
- Approval e-mail – Your waiver was approved. You should print this e-mail and save it with your records.
- Denial e-mail – Your waiver was denied. If you would like us to look this over or if you answered a question incorrectly,
Open Enrollment Periods
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Open Enrollment Periods for all Students: If you are a student in the Fall semester and eligible to purchase coverage and you choose not to enroll for coverage before the Annual Enrollment Deadline of *September 25, 2015, you will not be eligible to enroll again until the start of next Fall unless you experience a “Qualifying Life Event during the year.
Qualifying Life Event
If you did not enroll during your open enrollment period and have since lost coverage under your original plan, you may qualify for a Qualifying Life Event upon providing proof of involuntary loss of coverage and payment within 30 days of losing coverage (example: marriage, divorce, loss of job, etc). The enrollment form, check or money order, and the letter of creditable coverage must be received within 30 days of losing coverage. After 30 days the student will no longer be eligible to enroll in the plan until Fall of the following school year.
If you have any questions about the waiver process, please call 800-505-4160 or
We are always happy to help in any way.